Monday, August 10, 2015

Our first 5k! What a fun morning

WHAT A MORNING! COLOR VIBE 5K
I honestly can't believe we even did it.  Had you asked me a few months ago if I would EVER think of entering any type of race, I would have laughed in your face!  If you read my Blog you would remember in a few posts I mentioned that I was trying to make some lifestyle improvements.  With these improvements I also needed to be held accountable and so I needed to sign up for something with someone that would help me maintain my goal.  So in come Shawna and Danielle who happily signed up and kept me motivated!
Come Friday we were all anxious as we had been slacking over our holidays and were unsure of what we got ourselves into!
Friday morning I headed to Ottawa to check in and pick up our race packs for the next morning, when I got to Wesley Clover Park at 11:45 there were already 70+ people lined up, when I left the park the lineup was almost 3 km long!
That should have been my first inclination as to how busy it was going to be the next day.  Anyways 7:15 came mighty early as we headed back to the park Saturday.  When we got close to the exit we could see the cars lined up down the highway, luckily we were coming in from out of town and got to breeze past all the people waiting from the other side :-)  Once the car was parked and shoes were tied we headed over and joined in the large group of people stretching and dancing.  A 8 am dance party is not something I am use to as we were still sipping our Timmys!  Music pumping, colour packs being thrown around and a DJ starting to count down from 10, we lined up and awaited our turn to take off!  They let heats of 500 go at a time.  We were about the 4th group to take off. As we ran thru the starting line we were sprayed with colourful powder and were headed on a grass like path.  It was very bumpy terrain, not at all what I am use to jogging on!  We jogged for a while (1km) and slowed down to catch our footing as the path worsened.  The ground was very uneven, full of dips and groundhog holes and lined with hay bales (which I am allergic too)  Anyways we still trucked thru!  The path crossed over some gravel paths which helped us to up our speed as we ran thru the different colour stations.  In total it took us 45 minutes to finish the 5k.  We were so excited and proud to be done we celebrated by tossing up our colour packs!  What a great day!  We can't wait until next year as we have a great costume idea and plan on bringing a bunch more people with us!
Below are the pictures that were snapped throughout the race!












No comments:

Post a Comment